Sunday 22 May 2011

The Man Corner

A man's home is not complete until there is a man cave.  Some of us lucky men can make an entire apartment a man cave.  The highlight of my current place is my humidor and home brewing facility.  Right next to these items is food.  There is little more I could ask for.  I began attempting to brew my own brew.  The first attempt is a Coopers Stout.  Unfortunately, it gets quite cold in my apartment and therefore the beer would get down to 16-18 deg C, which is borderline for yeast.  They begin to mutate.  I keep hoping they will mutate into X-Men like mutants.  Little wolverines could probably make some tasty beer.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle-like mutants wouldn't be bad either.   


However, I am hoping that they don't turn into Futurama-like mutants that live in the sewers.  Since I was concerned for the poor yeasties, I sacrificed my down jacket to keep them warm.  Priorities.  I also would occasionally turn my heater on to try to bring up the temperature for the beer, something I probably won't do for myself.  Luckily yeast produce heat as they metabolize.  I have since expanded my brewing operation to include a heating pad for the fermenter, but we will put that to the test in the next batch.  The beer tastes pretty good.  My next attempt will be for a American style pale ale.  I bought an extra 75 grams of hops to add on top of the normal recipe.  If I can get the alcohol and hop level up, I will have 23 liters of happiness.     

No comments:

Post a Comment