Thursday 19 May 2011

Foods and Food-like Items

 I came across sultanas while at the supermarket.  I picked them up, partly because of the packaging.  Anything that juggles its own species is A-OK in my book.  When I looked at the package, I thought:  sultantas -> sultan -> must be the leader of raisins, since the picture looks like a raisin.  I know it's scary to have insight into my thought process.   Anyhow, I had to try the raisin leader.  Sultantas are pretty good.  When I asked at work what they were, I heard that they were dried grapes.  Then I asked how they differed from raisins... and I got no answer.  Finally we came to the conclusion that they must be dried green grapes.  Regardless, they taste pretty much like raisins.  However, I keep buying them instead of raisins.  Again... the packaging/marketing does it for me.
 Next, we have kangaroo kebabs.  They may or may not look appetizing, depending on the reader.  They are in fact pretty good.  They taste like a mix between venison and beef.  It seems like you get many meat choices in Australia and I can't complain about that.  I have yet to see a kangaroo in the wild.  What I have noticed is that whenever you buy it in the store, it comes pre-marinated. 
Last, but not least, we have this appetizing can of tuna.  Tuna comes pre-packaged with many different flavors.  I actually really like that option.  I can buy a can and just bring it into work and it already tastes good.  There are a large variety of flavors: Japanese (ginger and soy sauce), corn and mayonnaise (seen in the picture and tastes much better than it looks), Tai Curry (self-explanatory), Mexican (beans and peppers), etc... The pre-packaged flavors is an idea that I hope will spread to the States, regardless of the unappetizing appearance. 

Now that you have seen the food varieties of Australia, aren't you enticed to visit the land of culinary delights?  Honestly, there are many amazing options and these foods all tasted very good. 

1 comment:

  1. That tuna is pretty much the most disgusting thing I've seen today, and I recently changed a poopy diaper.

    ReplyDelete