Tuesday 24 May 2011

Is Australia actually a aviary?

 Most of the wildlife I have seen so far in Australia has consisted of birds.  First, we have the kookaburra, a bird that has a maniacal cackling sound, to quote Wikipedia.  Kookaburras are surprisingly huge.  For those who don't know, I stayed in a house denoted as the Kookaburra Nest by the owner.  Although, I saw minimal resemebalance between the kookaburra and my previous landlord.  The previous landlord was a comedian, and I suppose having a kookaburra constantly around laughing at him, would certainly boost his comedic confidence.  Hopefully, the laughter won't sound as maniacal to the comedian as Wikipedia states.   

Actually, while I was on the hike where I saw the kookaburra, there are also lyrebirds.  Lyrebirds essentially repeat what you say, but they look like peacocks.  I never actually saw any lyrebirds.  The noises I heard from the forrest during my hike were very strange considering the laughing and the repeating "Where are these so called lyrebirds?"
Next, we have the fairy penguins, which live, literally, across the road from my place.  I find penguins particularily hilarious and enjoyable to watch.  They just have so much trouble walking, it's hard not to be amused.  They are also adorable.  When I was in NZ, I saw a sea lion get onto shore by the penguins (they eat penguins) and I just can envision a sea lion flopping it's way across the beach while a penguin waddles back and forth to get away.  It wouldn't be so funny if the penguin is caught, but the image of the chase is amusing. 

Last we have a few extra birds that are fun to look at.  The first may be the inspiration for the fohawk hairstyle.  The next bird is apparently that same as Whiplash's bird from Iron Man II.  Finally, we have a colorful bird that would have a horrible time in a hide and go seek game.   

No comments:

Post a Comment