Friday 29 April 2011

The Abyss Known as the Hyundai Getz

 Time to move.  It turns out that it can be pretty difficult to find a furnished apartment in Melbourne without paying an extra $50 per week.  The Mel-ites as I call them claim that the backpacking Irish are the cause, as they like to rent furnished places for short term stays.  So, I decided to go with a unfurnished apartment.  Instead of annoying people on 3 different types of mass transit to get my stuff to my new place, I decided instead to rent a car.  So, I was given the Hyundai Getz, which seems to be the go-to rental car these days.  Interestingly, they also give a Getz with a manual transmission.
 These cars are actually a lot of fun.  Even though they are 4 cylinders, they have a lot of get-up-and-go.  Anyhow, after moving, I decided to take another trip to IKEA.  There's a bit of a story with the first trip I took to the Melbourne IKEA, but that story can be saved for another day.  I figured that I would get the furniture delivered, since I was driving a car that is the size of a motorcycle... well maybe a little bigger.  So, I picked up a bed and a couch, plus some bits and pieces.  The furniture is shown to the left.
Although it wasn't planned, I managed to fit all of the furniture into the Getz, including a double-sized mattress.  I think the years of Tetris finally paid off.  The mattress had to be folded on itself a couple of times and it may have been sticking into the windshield, but it fit.  I guess a determined person can accomplish a lot, by fitting a apartment into a miniature car.  The other patrons of IKEA were worried about me and kept asking to help.  That's when I decided the Aussies or Mel-ites are a kind group of people.  Once the furniture was brought to the apartment, it was time to put it together.  Being a typical man, I decided to do it without instructions.  Because of this, I had to take it a apart and put it together 3 different times.  Oops.  Anyhow, the new bed is very comfortable and the new couch is decent.  IKEA to the rescue.   

No comments:

Post a Comment