Wednesday 6 April 2011

"Signs, signs, everywhere a sign..."

Inspired by another blog, I've started to notice some funny things about my new residence.  To the left is a sign that states "In case of impact with this bridge, please ring __ immediately".  I saw this as I drove along in the rental car on my first day.  A couple thoughts came to mind.  The sign certainly is based on many assumptions, including that it is not hit in the first place, that you are conscious and can operate a phone, and that the bridge hasn't fallen on you. 

The next sign corresponds to a sign in a green area "reserve" in the middle of Monash University. 
A friend of mine noted that soft-ball games are okay.  Motorized skateboards and 4 wheelers should be fine... or maybe just in designated areas.  I thought it would be funny to have someone riding a horse and discharging firearms in the middle of campus... but then again there was a nearby pond that might have ducks... so it might not be such a bad idea.

The beauty is that these are the only limited activities in the area.  Everything else is fair game.  One could ride a pony through the reserve and if there are any complaints, you can just point out the sign.  You could use dynamite for fishing in the nearby pond.  The list really goes on.   

The other beauty of the southern hemisphere is that they have no reserve toward being pc in their advertisements.  I'd show some examples, but if my mother is reading this, she might appreciate the lack of information. 

2 comments:

  1. Your mother is reading this and doesn't believe she it that sensitive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides I wouldn't want to deprive others of the enjoyment of reading the unpc advertisements.

    ReplyDelete