Wednesday 6 April 2011

Finding Residence

On my first day to work, I just happened to pass by the Belgium beer cafe (directly behind the hospital).  Apparently, it's quite the summer hot spot.  They have a huge outdoor area with a stage.  I can see myself spending many evenings wasting away in belgium beerville.  On that same note, my new boss took the group out for lunch the following day.  We ordered some beer and wine... and more wine... and more wine.  10 pm and 2 locations later, I found my way home.  It was a good introduction to the lab.  Unfortunately, I think a standard Friday involves many more microscopes, mice, meetings, and writing. 
I started searching for a residence near work, to avoid the 1.5 hr metro commute.  The issue is that each rental application must be accompanied by a viewing of the property... and apartment searching in Melbourne is highly competitive.  Most real estate companies, here, will hold open houses, but they hold them within 15 minutes of each other.  So, I've been literally sprinting from one place to the next.  The adjacent picture is the park that I plan to live by.  Oddly enough, there is a ocean beach 3 blocks down on the left in the picture.  Not a shabby place to live.  I encountered shin splints after running around between apartments.  I guess the apartment search is allowing me to get my daily exercise. 

3 comments:

  1. Howdy Dave, nice blog. Props to Sarah for directing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good-ay Daie-vid. Good on ya for finding my blog mate. Cheers.

    Aussie dialect aside, I had forgotten about your blog from when you were in Tasmania and was perusing it the other day. I hope it brings back some memories. I'll have to make my way to Tasmania soon and do some tramping. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I like how we had similar choices in blog title

    ReplyDelete