Tuesday 11 October 2011

Wale of a tale

Russia!  I returned from Mt Taranaki.  Upon my return I met a extremely talkative Welshman at the Backpackers.  Him and his wife moved from Wales to northern Ontario Canada to the north of the north island in New Zealand.  He took up jobs in impoverished areas.  He mentioned that the northern western tip of the island was about 70% Maori with about a 70% unemployment rate.  There used to be mining jobs in the area, but now there is no industry.  It is often sad to see blue collar areas after industry has left.  It makes me feel lucky to be in my current situation.   
The Welshman gave me a history lesson on how Canada began, a topic that, apparently, many Canadians do not know.  They are apparently British loyalists that wanted to stay under rule of the monarchy after the U.S. independence.  Anyhow, we also discussed more important topics, like rugby technique.  I was taught the torpedo kick.  The Welshman and his wife were also heading to the game and wanted to support the U.S., which I was happy with.  It's hard to get much U.S. support these days.   
I headed out a little early to grab a U.S. shirt and to do a little "tailgating."  The game was great.  It was very close... a little too close in the end.  I enjoyed some Heinekens (proud sponsor of RWC 2011) at the game.  They kept me warm at half time when there was a complete downpour.  You may notice the wet jeans hanging from the drying rack at the Backpackers.  I'd highly recommend this Backpackers.  I had a wonderful stay.  Best of all, there was no phone reception.   

1 comment:

  1. You know you are part Canadian. Grandpa would be happy to know about the sponsor.

    ReplyDelete