Friday 14 October 2011

Back in Black

I couldn't leave the RWC without first seeing the All Blacks play. However, I was in the wrong city, didn't have a ticket, and didn't have a place to stay.  NZ had the Brave Blossoms to play and I didn't want to miss seeing a bold blossom.  The atmosphere was amazing, upon arriving in the city, Hamilton.  This is the first time I've seen rowdy Kiwis.  Knowing that it would be a challenge to find lodging, I decided to head back to my old friends at the haunted house a.k.a. the not so nice hotel I stayed at on my first night.  I hoped to pick a nice room, but was brought to my usual, for double the price... a discount since I had stayed there before ;) 

It was worth it.  I was 2/3 of the way to attending an All Blacks game.  I started to wander around the city and tried to think of the places where people may be scalping tickets.  I was looking for trouble and Dave was its middle name.  After passing through some alleyways and pubs, I decided to head straight to the stadium.  That's where I have always seen scalpers in the past.  Unfortunately, the game was starting for many hours, so I had my qualms about walking all of the way to the stadium when I could be drinking beer. 
Once I arrived at the stadium, I found a nice shady looking Eastern European.  Perfect.  I thought I'd get him to drop the price by going to the ticket window and by wandering for a bit.  I returned and gave my offer.  I brought out my wallet and realized I don't have my offer in dollars.  Perfect grifting on my part.  I got a ticket for a "great" price, cheaper than the face value.  I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the game.  I was in the first row.  I even had to throw the balls back at the rugby players when they missed passes.  Win!

On a more somber note, there was a moment of silence at the beginning of the game to remember those who lost their lives and loved ones in the earthquake stricken nations.  Prime ministers from both countries were there.  Disasters generally bring people closer together, and I think this was true for the city of Christchurch.  The earthquakes were an experience that I'll never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment