Monday 10 October 2011

From Russia with love

I chose to visit Ergmont NP upon my return to Taranaki. It was another cloudy day. The drive to the DOC station was amazing. The drive consisted if a tunnel of rain forest trees. I started a climb up the mountain to stretch out the old legs. On my way I passed people who were wearing shorts and a t-shirt. This was humerus because I had all of my mountaineering gear on.  
The trail began to turn to snow and ice. I saw one other pair of footprints in the snow. These climbed up to the last hut before the summit. I carried on. Snow conditions were actually very good for climbing. Unfortunately, the visibility was not ideal for climbing. After weighing the options and checking the time, I chose to head back down. I couldn't assess avalanche danger, but more importantly I wouldn't make the rugby game in time, if I continued up. I decided to take a different trail down. This one ventured into the rain forrest.   
It started to downpour.  It was beautiful though, extending in and out of steep ravines. Upon returning to the DOC station, the barista took one look at me and said I bet you could use something hot.  One of the best tasting cups of coffee. I headed back to the hostel where I met some Welch... But I'll save that story for another time.

1 comment:

  1. All these funny words, like barista... are you forgetting your English...

    ReplyDelete