Thursday 6 October 2011

Mordor

After Taupo, I visited Tongariro National Park.  This is the area where they apparently filmed Mordor for Lord of the Rings.  The area has some nice volcanoes.  Unfortunately, they were mostly shrouded by clouds.  This particular day was the clearest of all of the days.  I can say that it did rain every single day during this trip.  Anyhow, with the ski runs closed and no one on the mountains/volcanoes, I figured it would be a bad idea to try to do any climbing.  However, I did enjoy the scenery. 
I was later told by a fellow that the track up the one volcano is amazing and that I should definitely do it... in summer.  There was a lovely chateau associated with the ski resort... for those who want to rough it.  I asked at the DOC (Department of Conservation) station whether or not there would be a chance for the weather to get better.  Rain was in the forecast for every single day. 
The US-Russia game was on the following day, so I decided that I would head back to the New Plymouth area (where the game was being played).  I chose to drive back through the green hills.  There are alternative, straight, routes to get to New Plymouth, but I have to admit that I greatly enjoy the winding mountainous roads.  I imagine that it would be great to live out in this area.  However, one would have to be fairly self-sufficient.  I wonder if the farms of New Zealand are owned by massive corporations or if local small farming is still profitable in a place like New Zealand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment