Wednesday 28 September 2011

U.S. rugby = getting better

I'm jumping around the timeline a little, but wanted to point out that the U.S. played really well against Ireland, in their first World Cup game.  The final score was 22-10.  To put that into perspective, Australia (2nd in the world) lost to Ireland but 13.  Last night was the last game for the U.S. and so I reflected on their progress over the years and where, we, as a nation stand in the world of rugby.  The U.S. has never been a rugby nation.  The team consists of mostly amateurs, even people that my Atlanta rugby team has played against.  Most of these men grew up playing other sports.  The team gets better each year, and actually played really well in all of the World Cup matches.  I foresee 2 wins in the next World Cup, which will be in England.  What I can say is that I really enjoyed seeing the team in person, even though they were cosidered big underdogs in most of their games.  There's something satisfying about being able to root for the underdogs.       



No comments:

Post a Comment