Tuesday 20 September 2011

Oh how I wish it would rain

Suffice it to say, I had a delayed start to my day after the Ireland game.  I had camped out on the beach in New Plymouth.  Afterwards, I took some dangerous pictures, not paying attention to the road while driving.  The original plan was to climb Taranaki after the game, but it was shrouded in a cloud, so I headed toward the center of the north island, hoping for better weather.  My fancy new phone told me it was a good idea.    
I chose to take the scenic route, which was through rolling green hills.  The landscape was beautiful.  As you may imagine, I saw many sheep.   
Driving the winding switchbacks is actually a lot of fun, especially with a manual car.  The drive starts out on a gravel road, which later turns into pavement.  It goes through a gorgeous gorge, continues into the hills, until the center of the north island, which is fairly volcanic. 
 There was a cool tunnel on the drive.  It is barely wide enough to fit a camper van, of which there are plenty in New Zealand.  I don't think it would fit a tractor/trailer.  I was even worried that I'd hit the walls with my little Nissan. Like typical country roads, I came upon some cows that blocked the pathway.  The best part is that the closest one started pooping as I drove by, as if I startled it.  I also saw, a wild pig and many rabbits on my drive.  Overall, it was very pleasant.  Next stop:  the volcanoes of Mordor.   

1 comment: