Sunday 18 September 2011

I'm the Leprechaun

Hooray, Rugby World Cup (RWC)!  I'd like to begin by saying that I was told that my accent was great multiple times.  I never knew people enjoyed the Chicago/Wisconsin accent...  I spent the first night watching rugby at a pub with a bunch of English fans.  The awesome part was that I saw fellow Americans at the pub.  It is so strange and satisfying to see other Americans down under.  There's a certain comfort in seeing one's own culture.    


Subsequently, I arrived in New Plymouth to watch the U.S.'s first game (Ireland).  The Irish were EVERYWHERE.  The majority drove campervans.  All hotels were booked, so I stayed at a Holiday Park, which consisted of only Irish fans.  I gave 4 a lift into the city.  They were drunk.. and drinking... a stereotype of the Irish. I soon joined the Irish stereotype.  I tailgated... and by that I mean that I drank in my parked car before the game... since the Kiwis apparently don't tailgate like Americans. 
The atmosphere was awesome.  I sat next to a Kiwi who was rooting for the U.S.  He kept trying to coax me into heading to the rugby club pub after the game.. and I didn't need much coaxing.  Suffice it to say, it took me awhile to stumble out of my tent the following morning.. but then again it took awhile for everyone to stumble out of the Holiday Park that morning.

Doesn't this guy look like a Chicago-ite?







1 comment:

  1. Since you are part Irish, you fit right in. Even if it is only a small part.

    ReplyDelete