Saturday 3 September 2011

To rock and not to roll

 Street performers in Melbourne are called Buskers. Although, it may be true that they are named that as well in the States.  Since I came from a small town, I may be naive in the exciting city activity, known as busking.  One of my favorites is the human statue.  This doesn't work very well in the wind when wearing giant wings.  The statuesque form tends to be a little too dynamic.  On such days, statues need to pack up their bags and leave the busking to others.  
There is also a ninja card magician that does some busking in downtown Melbourne.  There are a variety of painters.  Some paint the tourists, some paint giant murals, some just paint graffiti.  I have seen sword swallowers as well.  However, the most prevalent busking art is the guitar playing type.  They are a dime a dozen.  However, I do feel like I have my own soundtrack as I stroll down the street.     


I have considered the activity of busking as well.  Hence, I bought a guitar.  So far my neighbors have been the only people that have been able to enjoy my sweet sounds that I produce.  By sweet, I mean out of tune, out of rhythm, singing and sporadic strumming.  My goal is to eventually walk down the street with my guitar and to play my own soundtrack, instead of relying on the other buskers.  I'll have a dark tune for strolling down dark alleys and I'll have a melancholy song for cloudy days, etc...  It would be even more fun to start following people and to play to their walking and activities.  If I had my way.....

2 comments:

  1. Today, I saw the biggest crowd around a guy that was just doing hand stands with his shirt off. How does that beat a ninja magician?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could draw a larger crowd busking by playing your guitar while handstanding with or w/o shirt.

    ReplyDelete