Monday 22 August 2011

Turning to the Dark Side... Skis

Well, it's been awhile since I've been to the slopes.  With my canceled Arrowsmith climbing trip (avalanche danger), I decided to head to the slopes with some acquaintances from Christchurch.  I've never actually downhill skied before and have only been a snowboard.  I decided that since my snowboard was still hanging out in the U.S. in the middle of a hot summer, that I'd try out this whole "ski" thing.  First, I'd like to say that ski poles are a beautiful thing.  It is so nice to make movements on flat surfaces... which is very different from a snowboard.     
Also, one can face forward on skis..  which is great.  On a snowboard, one has to consistently torque their neck to one direction.  Lastly, I felt like James Bond.  I just needed a little Union Jack parachute in my backpack.  I spent a fair amount of time eating snow and burying myself in snow during my first two days skiing.  However, I did progress to blue runs within 2 trips down the mountain.  I was doing blue-blacks without much trouble on the last day.... except for some icy patches.  All self-promoting aside, I had a really fun time with some beautiful views of the Southern Alps and Christchurch.  I may be converting myself from a snowboard to skis.  There is just something right about facing forward and being able to move on flat ground.

2 comments:

  1. Good decision on the climb, at least from a parents perspective. Where's the helmet? Sounds like you and the snow became good friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Kitty still likes the snowboard.

    ReplyDelete