Thursday 11 August 2011

Classic Pub Food, Chicken Parmesan?


All cultures have their peculiarities.  Australians are no different.  They consider chicken parmesan to be pub food.  It's a nice alternative to the typical bar cuisine, but, regardless, I find it odd.  Since finding this out, I have commenced a mission, which is to try the chicken parmesan throughout Australia.  This may also have to involve beer tasting throughout Australia as well, considering I'd be at the pub anyhow.  Thus far, I have tasted the culinary delights of 3 different restaurants/pubs:  The Ivy, The Quarter, and the Flying Horse Bar and Brewery.  The first is a restaurant, the second is a cafe, and the third speaks for itself.    

Out of these 3 establishments, The Ivy has the best chicken parmesan.  It was the correct balance of cheese, chicken, breading, and tomato paste/sauce.  This was the first of my Australian chicken parmesans.  I thought I saw a sign stating that they were on sale for $13.  However, I failed to read the small print outside that specified that this was only the case 1 day during the week. That day was not that day.... so to speak.  The next best chicken parmesan was at The Quarter, a cafe in downtown Melbourne.  This chicken had the surprise delight of a piece of bacon along the top.  Bacon, down under, is actually more or less a slice of ham, and can be seen spread across the chicken in the picture.  My least favorite chicken parmesan was at the Brewery.  They burned the chicken and the whole thing was dry.  Luckily the Heifeweizen made up for the poor taste of the food.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun and challenging venture. I am sure you are up to it.

    ReplyDelete