Tuesday 8 May 2012

Where's the coffee?

To continue describing my Tasmania Easter trip: 

Something I really enjoyed, despite its simplicity is what they call Tesselated Pavement.  It looks like a brick wall on the ground.  It is formed from the shifts in the earth that occur in three directions (2 obvious perpindicular ones in the image).  As the water erodes these "fault lines", little rounded bricks begin to form.  
I set off to find coffee.  It looked like the biggest nearby town was Port Arthur.  As I drove, I noticed a tourist "i" sign and pulled on in.  These places always are a sign for coffee.  This place had tons of tourists pouring in.  I grabbed some pamphlets as I went to drink my coffee... which was absolutely delicious.  Apparently this place was a penal colony and is now a historic site, where they hold ghost tours and what not.  Due to the dreary day, I thought... perfect. 
So, I headed on in.  They asked if I wanted a ferry to the Isle of the Dead.  I said, "heck yes."  Any isle with that name is an isle for me.  It reminds me of a song I heard while writing my dissertation on Halloween 2010... called the Isle of the Dead by Rachmaninoff, which also corresponds with a painting that I really like by Böcklin.  The island had over 1200 people buried in it.  The island is tiny.  It was freezing and cloudy out, which went well with the otherwise sunshine and rainbows atmosphere.   

No comments:

Post a Comment