Tuesday 28 February 2012

Putting Words to the Song


One of the first songs I learned on guitar was "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd.  I'm sure the family remembers this tune fondly.  However, I never did learn how to play the parts of the song that actually contained words.  Therefore, I present the words  ;) and corresponding tune.   

On a another note, this song reminds me of an old friend from high school that passed away in 2004.  I think he lived a fun life and died doing something he enjoyed, so I actually remember this song fondly and it makes me happy when I hear it.  As I was listening to it the other day, around February 22nd, I had been wishing that those that passed away in the earthquake were still here and that Christchurch and the spirit of Christchurch were still here.  I think the city will return in all of its glory in time.  It's strange that such a brief stay in the city could allow it to feel like a home to me.  I guess if you put the ocean, mountains, volcanoes, rugby, ruggedness, great beer and beautiful wildlife all in one place, then it will typically feel like a home to me...    Since I've been living away, I've been trying to figure out what exactly it means to feel at home.  I still don't have a great answer, but I think it begins with being around people you care about and who care about us back.  I think it also means being around things one enjoys.  The Bavarians call it Gemütlichkeit.  I'm sure it's a different feeling for everyone and that everyone has a different source and reason for feeling at home. 


Cheerio


1 comment: