Tuesday 6 December 2011

Rockin in the free world

I have done a poor job with blog duty in November.  My mustache took too much of my attention.... well that and work.  The other night, I went to a Tenacious D and Foo Fighters concert in AAMI stadium.  It is interesting to see an American band in a different country.  I felt more at home, oddly enough (or maybe it isn't so odd).  It's like seeing friends coming into town.       
However, there are a few differences between Australian concerts and American concerts.  Australian concerts are very pricey.  I paid over $100 for tickets to this concert and that was for the worst/cheapest seats available.  Australian concerts are also always packed and sell out quickly.  They are also very limited in what acts will come into town.  Actually, it is funny seeing the tour shirts.  In the States, the shirts have about 50 shows listed on the back.  Here, they had 5.  That being said, I really enjoyed this concert.  I think the huge stadium of people gives the artist more reason to put on a great show, as opposed to a performance in a small club in Chicago or Atlanta. 

One of the humerous things about a stadium performance is that it's difficult to give everyone a good view.  In the case of Dave Grohl, he would run across the soccer field onto a platform, shown here.  Personally, I don't know how he has the energy to run back and forth, while singing and playing.  Jack Black was a little more tame with his movements.  His exciting move was to step down the stairs and come back up.  I jest, as I'm sure the center platform was reserved for Dave.  Regardless, both shows were great.  Both acts were funny and sounded great.  I thought it was actually worth the money.  Although, I'm getting an obscured view of cost after living in Melbourne.  There have been nights where I have easily gone through more than $100 on buying drinks for people and myself.  Such was the case during the night of the concert.  In my old days, I'd cringe if I spent $20 on drinks for one night.  Luckily, I don't have many expenses in Australia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment