Wednesday 30 March 2011

Uni Canterbury


  What better time to talk about my job than when I'm in a new one.  To begin, I'd like to show you my favorite tree on campus, above (there is one comparable by the staff club).  It's on my daily walk to work.  Contrary to this tree, there is one behind it that wacks me in the face most days.  It hangs down into the sidewalk like a weeping willow and it's a daily game to try to dodge the swinging leaves.  It can be particularly challenging during Norwesters (strong warm winds).  I think greenery and trees are a necessity for campuses.  After the aftershock/quake, classes started to be taught from pubs, churches, and tents.  An example of the tents is shown above, placed in one of the parking lots.  Can you imagine teaching or actually learning and paying attention when getting taught from these locations? 

The building I worked in is shown on the right.  The problem with this building is that it doesn't have air conditioning or heating.  They automatically open/close the windows and shades to keep the proper temperature,. so the building is "green."  The unfortunate reality is that whoever programmed the opening and closing must hate the inhabitants of the building.  On a cold day, the shades are closed and the windows are open, maximizing the cold.  Before the earthquake/aftershock there were about 10 people working on the top floor (where I worked).  After, there were 100s.  I guess the building might actually be capable of remaining warm with that many people.
I was moved 3 times during the 4 months I worked at the Uni.  The latest location is shown on the left.  My boss sat right behind me.  Yes, there is a mammoth on the desk.  Unfortunately, I only got to use one monitor.  One necessity for work is coffee.  However, Kiwis don't do drip coffee. The closest thing is an espresso with additional hot water in it.  I started out with coffee this way.  Then, I slowly put less and less water in the espresso.  Finally, at the end, I put a double shot in and left it at that . I don't know how I will do without the machine.  I worry that my hands may stop shaking then.  Also, what will keep my heart rate up?      

No comments:

Post a Comment