Tuesday 22 March 2011

Trip of Folly, but with great views day 1

So a friend of mine, here, in New Zealand mentioned that Mt. Murchison may be a fun mountain to visit.  Well, for those of you who don't know, my current landlord is named Don Murchison.  So, I had to at least see the mountain for namesake.  So I packed up all of my gear, including ice tools and crampons.  I was on my way to Arthur's Pass National Park.  After driving along the 4 wheel road for about 10-15 min to the trailhead, I discovered that the trailhead had no intention forms... so I headed on over to the ranger station about 30 min away.   Boosting my confidence about the trip, the ranger said that it was doubtful that I could make it to the Barker Hut (my planned destination).  The ranger also mentioned that they had doubts I could even cross the rivers to get halfway there and that rain could keep me in the huts for days due to poor river crossings.
    I got back to the trailhead and was ready to go.... well except I couldn't find my nalgenes of water... the one critical component for any mountaineering or tramping trip.  After a moment of panic, I thought about the thermos I brought that contained my coffee.  That will do.  By this time, it was later in the day (11am), so I started to have doubts about making it to the Barker hut and if I made it, I figured there would be a crevasse party on the glaciers of Murchison, so I left my ice tools and crampons at the car.
     So, I started down the riverbed.  For those reading this who haven't tramped in New Zealand, I should point out that Kiwis do not believe in bridges, or dry feet for that matter.  Actually, many just walk around barefoot.  So, 5 minutes into the trip was the first river crossing.  4+ hrs later with soaked feet and after losing count of river crossings, I arrived at the Carrington Hut, which wasn't even halfway to the Barker Hut.  Well, this is the point where the trail gets a little odd.  My guidebook mentioned that I should cross the White River as soon as possible.  After almost getting swept away in waste deep water, I was across.  As I continued along, bushwacking and fording rivers, I found this cableway, as shown here.  Well..  wouldn't that have been convenient for getting across the river... well, lets face it, it also would have been a lot more fun.
     I met some Kiwis along the way who mentioned there was no way I'd make it to the Barker Hut before dark... they must have talked to the same ranger.  Being the good listener, I continued on my way.  Luckily about 30-60 min later, I met a older Kiwi couple who said I should be able manage... giving me a little more confidence.  I should mention that some Kiwis are built like mountaineering machines... even older Kiwi couples, so it's important to take their tramping advice with a grain of salt.  After following what appeared to be a game trail, at best, I wandered around and finally made my way to the Barker Hut, which isn't in the valley, as I thought... it's much much higher.  I think I only got lost 5 times or so... which is not uncommon for these trails.  I got some warm clothes on and some hot water in me.  After watching a couple Keas fight, I had dinner and headed to bed.        

end day 1

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, good thing I already knew you were back safe and snug after just reading day one's adventure and being kept hanging about day 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never in real danger. If the river was too high, I'd just have to wait out the rain in the huts along the way. If I did get swept away, my stuff would just get wet, but I would have been fine. I was prepared for days of sleeping outside in the cold if required, so no worries Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to find yourself a sherpa to carry some of that gear.

    ReplyDelete