Monday 1 October 2012

Protest

I participated in my first protest.  The Aboriginals were protosting the insertion of a gas refinery on their land in the Northern Territory, so they held ceremonies across the entire coast of australia.  It involved the burning of eucalyptus leaves.  They are concerned about how the refinery would impact the wildlife.  Don't worry mum and pop, I'm not becoming a hippie ;) 


I burned a cigar in the honor of the ceremony.  It was being held just outside my apartment on the beach.  One of the things I found funny was that during the ceremony, the hippie parents that were there would let their children run wild, which was actually a bit disruptive.  While one of the aboriginals spoke, the child would play with the sticks, putting them in the fire, throwing sand at the fire, etc.. I thought it was interesting that the parents would support something, yet disrespect it at the same time. 

2 comments:

  1. A rebel in the family. :) Child nondiscipline is part of the hippie culture. Easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Melbourne Rebel! (It's a pun, because the Melbourne Rugby Union team is called the Melbuorne Rebels) I figured that you and dad would enjoy the nondiscipline part ;)

    ReplyDelete