Tuesday 14 August 2012

More burs

Beer, beer, and more beer.  So, I decided to make a big portion of my trip devoted to wine... I mean beer.  I guess after making homebrewing a hobby, it's nice to see what the professionals do and how they do it.  So, while I was in Boston, I stopped over at the Sam Adams brewery, which is now used for test batches.  They had us all try eating differently kilned barley and smell their hops.  I think I was the only one who actually ate some of the hops and then proceded to rub it on my neck like cologne, but hey we all have our individual tastes ;) 
At the end of the tour they have some beer tasting.  Unfortunately, they chose to display some of their normal/average beers.  Therefore, I had to cross the street to the pub to try some of their more interesting brews.  I have to say that my favorite was one of their IPAs.  They make 2, one tastes average to bad, the other is great.   I wish I could remember which one was which...

The other major brewery I checked out was Stone, over near San Diego , CA.  I had no idea that their production facility was so large.  They're even expanding beyond what I saw.  I have to say that their facility is really nice.  There is a bistro at the front that has a huge selection of beer, some of the finest in the world.  I was a little sad that I had to drive. 

The last stop was Pizza Port, which is a pizzeria that has a few small fermentors.  They are actually very famous in the beer world and after trying some of their beers, I can understand why.  I had an amazing American Stout, one of the award winners, at the particular Pizza Port (their are 4 locations all brewing different beer).  The location I chose was right down the road from the aiport... how convenient.   

1 comment: