Monday 23 January 2012

Fermentation

As it turns out, the fermentation temperature is quite critical for making a quality brew. This would explain some of the off flavors that I've been having. Therefore, I tried to convert my fridge to a fermenting machine. I started out by placing a heater in the fridge and surrounded that with styrofoam.  It kept the beer at a fairly constant temperature, but it was too warm. I figured that this method might also keep my food at a decent temperature. To get more accuracy, I bought an externally based thermostat.  This seems to be fantastic for maintaining a constant fermentation temperature. However, I took the heating pad out, so now my food is about 18 deg c - 65 deg f. I think I can alternatively use the heating pad with the thermostat, while having the fridge refrigerate like normal. I just foresee that this would waste a lot of energy. Life choices are so tough.  I'm now looking for a second fridge, as that would be an ideal arrangement.


2 comments:

  1. The tubing is my airlock... as I'm sure Mum is wondering. In case, Paw is wondering, the airlock doesn't fit in the fridge, upright, so I had to finagle an alternative, with the tubing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum is wondering why the contradiction of heating pad and frig. Also, are you enjoying those little green things on your food since frig temp should be 40 degrees to do a proper job. :0)

    ReplyDelete