Tuesday 1 November 2011

Scaring the Aussies

 Halloween came and went in Australia.  It isn't a major celebration here.  The bigger celebration is the subsequent day, Melbourne Cup Day.  It's a day that (almost) everyone gets off from work, so that they can go to the track and do some betting.  The entire nation stops for a 3-5 minute horse race.  Is that better or worse than dressing up and eating candy?  I guess each culture is different.  One thing that fascinatoes me about Melbourne Cup Day is that all of the girls put funny hats, called fascinators.  Anyhow, enough about the cup.     
The group of researchers at the hospital all got together for a Halloween celebration.  I'd like to think of it as a celebration of the USA.  I chose to be as scary as I could to the Aussies.  I figured what could be scarier to them than an All Black.  Just kidding, Australian friends.  The best costume was a rubiks cube and Ruby the rivoter. 

Halloween is funny here because only part of the population celebrates it.  This is problematic when you only get 1 or 2 sets of children at one's house.  First it's startling to look outside and suddenly see a werewolf coming up your driveway.  Secondly, most people aren'e prepared with candy.  Lastly, most houses in Australia and New Zealand are surrounded by walls.  The gates to the walls are typically locked.  Therefore, it's difficult for kids to walk up to a door and ask for treats.   I know it was for me.     

No comments:

Post a Comment