Sunday 10 July 2011

World Cup Previews

The Super 15 finals were last night.  The Super 15 are rugby teams around the Tri-Nations (Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa), that remain under the thumb of the monarchy.  The final game was between the Canterbury (Christchurch) Crusaders and the Queensland Reds.  After living in Christchurch, I have become fond of the Crusaders, which luckily have some of the best players in the world.  Anyhow, I went to a Melbourne sports bar, with my NZ All Blacks jersey to support the Crusaders.  Surprisingly, most of the people at the bar were rooting for the Crusaders, despite the fact that the Reds were from Australia.  Therefore, I didn't feel out of place at all.  My friend, Imala, came along as well, to share in the rugby fun.   
Sadly, the Crusaders lost.  However, many play for the NZ national team, the All Blacks.  Therefore, they will have their rematch against Australia.  It is amazing to compare the rugby teams in the Tri-Nations with the U.S. rugby club teams.  Well... there is no comparison.  The Tri-Nations are really a spectacle to watch.  However, I would like to point out that the best player for the Crusaders (probably the world), Dan Carter, is the same age and height as me.  However, he is 27 pounds heavier and probably 100x faster and more skilled at rugby.  However, I chose to provide a comparison between Dan Carter, getting tackled, and me, who is attempting to get the ball in the other picture.  I think there is a similarity.   

No comments:

Post a Comment