Thursday 2 June 2011

Party on the top, business on the sides

Recently, I decided it was time for a haircut.  I had been looking all over Melbourne for a decent priced barber.. meaning <=$20.  Typical haircuts appear to be $40 around here.  Well, my frugal nature brought me to the thought of going to a hair academy.  What better way to blend into a culture than to let their artists give you the "local haircut".  So, I told them my usual style (short on top 3cm, shorter on the sides).  However, I also said that I'd be open to suggestions.  So the stylist suggested to have a little longer top side.  So he brought out the electric clippers and went along my sides and back... nothing unusual.  He brought out the scissors and started trimming the sides and back that were already shaved.  It was a first for me to have someone trim something that was already clipped.  I waited for about 45 minutes, while he trimmed the 1/4 cm hair.  I figured that he was learning.  It was then time to cut the top.  So, he takes off about a 1/4 cm from the top and asks how it looks.  I said that my conservative nature would prefer it a little shorter.  So, he took another 1/4 cm off the top.  I was thirsty, hungry, and wanted to see the penguins, so I confirmed the length.  I figured it may look better when I style it my way anyhow (mohawk style).  I don't know how the haircut experience is for most people, but I always assume that the cut will look better once I shower and spike the hair.  The student asked for approval from his boss and the boss mentioned that the trim on the back had to be fixed slightly.  So the 0.252 cm patch was trimmed to 0.25 cm.  I tried the hairstyle for a day or two, but the strange look from the boss told me that I should probably give it a more conservative look.  So, I trimmed the top, myself, and did a fine job, I might add.  The picture is of the original haircut.  It was a fun experience and now I know how to cut my own hair!  

1 comment: