Wednesday 11 April 2012

Tasy - Promising Start

I finally made my way down to Tasy (where the 's' has a 'z' sound).  I headed to the most remote location that I could, the Southwest NP.  I had some friends let me in on the little secret, known as the Mt Anne Circuit.  One problem.  It requires good/sunny weather to cross a particular section.  I began with my quintessential stop at McDonalds to get some coffee, Coles to get some groceries, and Anaconda to get some gas for my stove, then finally the ranger office for a Park Pass, in order of priority.   
The climb reminded me a lot of some of the NZ climbs that I have done.  The scenery was beautiful.  Luckily, the rain held off for some good views.     
Then, I walked into the cloud.  There was a nice appealing hut 2/3 up the mtn, right before a difficult 1 hr rocky scramble up Mt Eliza.  I skipped the hut and made my way up the mtn, discovering the swamp, or plateau on the top.  It was very cold, wet, cold, windy, and cold.  I'm not sure if you can make out the ripples in the water from the wind.  Anyhow, I waded through the plateau to get to the next section of rock by Mt Anne.  Night was coming quickly and the rocks were very slick from the fog/rain/snow.  So, I thought about hunkering down.  I found a good spot when I pushed my face into a bush after slipping on a rock.  I setup camp and was too tired to start up the stove, so it was Snickers bars for dinner.  Despite the torrential downpour that commenced and the tortuous wind that whipped the tent back and forth at a frequency of about 1 hz, I had no trouble falling asleep (to remind you, I got up at 3am to get to the airport in time).  Bedtime was 7pm, just like my favorite Goddaughter.  To be continued...

1 comment: